If you are a runner, you might have heard about the burning sensation in your throat or mouth when you are running. This burning feeling can be caused by dehydration, heat, dry air, and even stress.
If you have never felt this kind of pain in your throat, you can be sure that you have never run long-distance. But if you have ever been through this, then I am sure that you will understand how painful this can be.
When you run for a longer time, the pressure increases, and it leads to the burning of the throat. If you feel that your throat is burning, you must stop running.
I know it is a common problem for runners, but I will give some reasons why my throat burns when I run?
When you run, your body temperature increases, so when you increase the temperature in your body, the blood vessels get dilated, which makes them look bigger. These dilated blood vessels make it easy for the heat to enter the lungs. The sweat glands also produce more sweat which causes the sweat to evaporate quickly.
We inhale less oxygen and exhale more carbon dioxide when we breathe faster. When we run, our respiratory rate increases by up to 50%. This means that the oxygen in the blood gets depleted very fast.
- The heart beats faster. The heart pumps faster when we exercise.
- The heat from the sweat evaporates faster than the air, which leaves the air very dry and hot.
- This is how the air gets dry and hot, making it difficult to breathe.
- If you are running in the cold weather, it can cause the throat to burn due to cold air entering the airway.
- If you are allergic to something, then the pollen from plants can enter your airway and cause irritation.
- If you are suffering from a dry mouth, it can also be the reason for the burning sensation.
- If you are drinking water during running and don’t drink enough, it can also lead to a burning sensation in your throat.
- If you are not drinking enough fluids while running, it can also cause the throat to burn.
- If you are running on a hot summer day, it can also burn your throat.
So, when you run, and the sweat evaporates in the air, it creates a lot of heat. This heat is so intense that it will burn your throat.
So, these are some reasons why your throat can burn while running. But, I don’t think it is the end of your life; you can easily get rid of this burning sensation by doing simple things. It would be best to keep yourself hydrated during running by drinking water or a sports drink. Drinking water will also help you stay cool and relaxed, and you can reduce the chances of getting a cold.